Crawling Away From the Crowd

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33

One glance at my calendar sent a shiver down my spine. Four kids, five schedules and one mom did not a balanced equation make. I had so much to do I thought I needed a running start on my day. I tossed a couple of “bless my families” into the air, left my Bible on the nightstand and leapt into a crowded life.

My busy day bubbled with crises of my own making.

My razor-sharp responses nicked around the edges of my daughters’ hearts. Regret stung mine.
My husband’s request met with irritation. I thought of him as an inconvenience.

…And it was only 10:00 am.

“Mommy, did you have time with Jesus this morning?”

Was it that obvious? Even a two year old could ferret me out. I’d tried to sprinkle a little Jesus on top of my crowded day.

Like bran on my cereal, dusted Him on my day and hoped He’d miraculously keep me regular. Balanced. On an even keel.

Only I can’t sprinkle a little Jesus on a crowded life.

He is the giver of my morning.
He is the author of my day.

Is your day a little crowded? Why not crawl off with Jesus before you run off into your day.

Photo Credit:  WaikikiPaintings

Comments

1. Kari says

Amen, We need to be reminded from time to time about how important Jesus is in our daily lives. I have once again been reproved…..

2. says

Shannon!
    This was amazing! What a wonderful, real life analogy! The truth of my time with Him… and how much I NEED Him is jumping off the page to me right now! Thank you sister! ~ Blessings out, Amy :)

3. diki b. says

Wow you really hit the nail on the head with this one! I know my day is a wreck waiting to happen when i start it without the Lord, but i also often find that the days i do start right with the Lord – everything goes even worse. It’s like satan throws everything he’s got at me and i don’t know which is worse. What do you think?

• says

That’s definitely an interesting thought. I’m sure he does plague us more when he knows we’re equipped but that’s the whole thing isn’t it? We’re equipped by time with God so we can handle it. H

Have you read Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst? It’s a treasure for a girl like me whose reactions aren’t always great.

4. says

Such truth, we do need to be dipped deep into Jesus and His love each day, by beginning with prayer and time to focus on Him. I need to do that more often. I do pray, and we begin our homeschool morning with Bible, but I wonder if my own quiet time would be better in the morning before I begin the day. Thanks for the great thoughts!

5. Lori says

I love this!!! I usually have Jesus with my COFFEE, great way to start the day and this summer I really got off track. So, looking forward to getting that time back!!!

6. says

Even if we crawl off with Jesus first, we’re still physically running, especially with 4 kids and all those schedules – which I’ve got, too. (P.S. Nice to meet another mom of craziness :). How do you manage in the middle of the run when you’ve used up your crawl-away-w/-Jesus peace by 9 a.m.? (This is a completely serious question. I’d really love ideas!)

• says

Laurie, this is such a great question and one I’ve wrestled with often as a mom to four. Have you downloaded my 8 Life Transforming Prayers? These 8 one-sentence prayers were a direct result of my desperation to connect to Jesus throughout my day. You can download them at my website – shannonmilholland.com. I also blogged about each one individually in June and July. I pray they bless your heart as they have mine. XOXO

7. says

Beautifully written, Shannon. I can really tell the difference in my day and my attitude when I haven’t filled up with Jesus first. He is my life line. Without him, I’m nothing – and no good to anyone else.