SIGN UP for the FREE 40 Day Affirmation Journey

Crawling Away From the Crowd

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33

One glance at my calendar sent a shiver down my spine. Four kids, five schedules and one mom did not a balanced equation make. I had so much to do I thought I needed a running start on my day. I tossed a couple of “bless my families” into the air, left my Bible on the nightstand and leapt into a crowded life.

My busy day bubbled with crises of my own making.

My razor-sharp responses nicked around the edges of my daughters’ hearts. Regret stung mine.
My husband’s request met with irritation. I thought of him as an inconvenience.

…And it was only 10:00 am.

“Mommy, did you have time with Jesus this morning?”

Was it that obvious? Even a two year old could ferret me out. I’d tried to sprinkle a little Jesus on top of my crowded day.

Like bran on my cereal, dusted Him on my day and hoped He’d miraculously keep me regular. Balanced. On an even keel.

Only I can’t sprinkle a little Jesus on a crowded life.

He is the giver of my morning.
He is the author of my day.

Is your day a little crowded? Why not crawl off with Jesus before you run off into your day.

Photo Credit:  WaikikiPaintings

AboutShannon Milholland

Shannon is a morning runner, an afternoon carpooler and all-day lover of Jesus.  She is the author of Jesus & My Orange Juice, a fresh-squeezed oasis for ordinary living. She finds joy among piles of laundry and miles of carpools and delights in leading others to this place of contentment in life. She presents the gift of prayer in her free 30 day prayer guide PrePrayed: Preparing for Life’s Events. She is a frequently published author. Most recently, she was a contributing author to Always There: Reflections for Moms on God's Presence.  As a speaker, Shannon is straight forward about her own struggles. She is a compassionate advocate fighting for victory in the life of her audience with a message of hope and encouragement.  When not writing or speaking, she enjoys her favorite job of wife to Scott and mom to four daughters from preschool to high school.
Facebook | Twitter | All Posts | Author Website | Pinterest

Lovin it here!

DON'T MISS A THING - let's stay connected!!

Comments

1. Kari says:

Amen, We need to be reminded from time to time about how important Jesus is in our daily lives. I have once again been reproved…..

1. I read “Everything” by Mary DeMuth this summer (official release in October) and I was reminded again how much I need Jesus to be my Everything. He’s the only One who can. :)

2. Amy Alves says:

Shannon!
    This was amazing! What a wonderful, real life analogy! The truth of my time with Him… and how much I NEED Him is jumping off the page to me right now! Thank you sister! ~ Blessings out, Amy :)

1. I need Him so desperately. I truly can do nothing without Him…and it’s so obvious to my family. :)

3. diki b. says:

Wow you really hit the nail on the head with this one! I know my day is a wreck waiting to happen when i start it without the Lord, but i also often find that the days i do start right with the Lord – everything goes even worse. It’s like satan throws everything he’s got at me and i don’t know which is worse. What do you think?

1. That’s definitely an interesting thought. I’m sure he does plague us more when he knows we’re equipped but that’s the whole thing isn’t it? We’re equipped by time with God so we can handle it. H

Have you read Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst? It’s a treasure for a girl like me whose reactions aren’t always great.

4. You hit the nail on the head. As always Shannon you are so true to what real people struggle with every day had how Jesus wants to help us with our burdens.

1. Isn’t cool how God meets us right where we are? He walked among us 2,000 years ago and He still walks around in the difficulties of our life.

5. Jill N says:

Such truth, we do need to be dipped deep into Jesus and His love each day, by beginning with prayer and time to focus on Him. I need to do that more often. I do pray, and we begin our homeschool morning with Bible, but I wonder if my own quiet time would be better in the morning before I begin the day. Thanks for the great thoughts!

1. Jill, love this – “dipped deep into Jesus”. That is pow-er-ful!

6. Lori says:

I love this!!! I usually have Jesus with my COFFEE, great way to start the day and this summer I really got off track. So, looking forward to getting that time back!!!

1. Well then you’ll love my blog…It’s called Jesus & My Orange Juice! :)

7. Even if we crawl off with Jesus first, we’re still physically running, especially with 4 kids and all those schedules – which I’ve got, too. (P.S. Nice to meet another mom of craziness :). How do you manage in the middle of the run when you’ve used up your crawl-away-w/-Jesus peace by 9 a.m.? (This is a completely serious question. I’d really love ideas!)

1. Laurie, this is such a great question and one I’ve wrestled with often as a mom to four. Have you downloaded my 8 Life Transforming Prayers? These 8 one-sentence prayers were a direct result of my desperation to connect to Jesus throughout my day. You can download them at my website – shannonmilholland.com. I also blogged about each one individually in June and July. I pray they bless your heart as they have mine. XOXO

8. Jedidja says:

So recognizable Shannon! You write it in a masterly way. Fortunately, Jesus loves our kind of mothers :-)

1. “Jesus loves our kind of mothers.” Love that! So true!

9. Rosann says:

Beautifully written, Shannon. I can really tell the difference in my day and my attitude when I haven’t filled up with Jesus first. He is my life line. Without him, I’m nothing – and no good to anyone else.

10. Love the analogies you have in this post Shannon! That “only at 10:am” so true. Thank you for today’s motivation to slow and make time for our daily dose.

Share Your Thoughts