Pray like it all Depends on Him

“Work like it all depends on you. Pray like it all depends on Him.” – Lysa TerKeurst

When God’s still, small voice knocked on my heart to write and speak, I wanted to register for a change of address. I wanted to reside on the other side of town from the stage and spotlight. I hung “not at this address” on my heart for several years.

Eventually I followed God into this adventure but tentatively like a forest deer hiding behind every tree and bush. My big fears – failure and conflict – loomed large between us two. They kept me from giving myself over in total abandon to my dream.

I heard these words at my first speaker conference, “Work like it all depends on you. Pray like it all depends on Him.”  I had the prayer part down. I poured my heart out with every assignment to tap the keyboard or commandeer the microphone…

…I only depended on Him.

It never occurred to me that I needed to work in equal measure. God wasn’t my scape goat. He wasn’t my trap door. Why was I laying all my success at His feet?

Fear.   Fear of failure.   Fear of conflict.

Inside every human heart is a dream, a calling, a purpose bigger than you. To live a life of passion and purpose requires working like it all depends on us and praying like it all depends on God. I’ve stepped out from behind my forest blind. In many ways I’m working harder than I ever have.

I might fail.

I will experience conflict.

But staying where I am will mean missing God’s best for me. By refusing to join Him out in the open, I live a life of mediocrity in the dark. Here in the light of passion and purpose is the thrill of the adventure of faith lived one step, one choice…

…one challenge at a time.

I looked fear in the eye and chose purpose instead.

Question:  Do you have a big dream tucked in the folds of your soul? Will you dare to work or will you just dream? Work like it all depends on you. Pray like it all depends on Him.  Share you comment by clicking here.

1. says

I love this post! “Work like it all depends on you. Pray like it all depends on Him.” I will have to remember that quote. “I looked fear in the eye and chose purpose instead.” Another one that I will need to remember….I should recite these daily! Thanks

2. says

I have always loved this quote. I think too many times, we just wait too long and don’t take steps forward that God wants us too. He will open doors, but sometimes He also wants us to kick them down. Great post!

3. says

What an inspiring message! Thank you for this. I don’t usually have a problem with my God sized dreaming. But I do struggle to bring those dreams to reality. I blame it on lack of time, but I’m sure if I were to dig under the layers of my soul a little bit I’d reveal the big fat word: FEAR. {I really loved this style of your writing, by the way}

4. says

Oh wow I know God sent me to your blog today. This is the 3rd (THIRD) time today, this EXACT topic has come up for me today. I have been offered to volunteer at a women’s shelter, to train as a speaker with Make a Wish and found out I am being considered for DOJ crime victim’s speakers program)
    All this took place after I took a risk on Thursday and posted about the desire to fulfill my calling. While these are volunteer opportunities, I know it is God’s timing coming together to meet, work and preparation that will eventually open doors. I have been in a state of limbo and want to move in God’s will and believe He is pushing me forward despite what it looks like. I am both terrified and excited. Thank you for the encouragement to leap over our fears into God’s waiting arms to reach our destiny!

5. says

Shannon… at the risk of sounding redundant …. WOW!! Ok. This is my favorite post of yours! As I read your post I felt that you were speaking directly to me. How did you know I was working on my purpose and needed this little push? lol! You my dear, have become my sister [in Christ]. Thank you for your loving words. “It never occurred to me that I needed to work in equal measure. God wasn’t my scapegoat. He wasn’t my trap door. Why was I laying all my success at His feet? Fear. Fear of failure. Fear of conflict.” Are you in my head? ;) With his Blessing… Carla

6. says

Shannon, I could reach out and hug you right now! I’m glad you answered God’s call because, selfishly speaking, it has blessed me! Every line of your post resonated with me. God is leading me into a new season. A season that I will either hold on to him and learn to swim or I’ll go under. This fall I start homeschooling for the first time, I’m finishing up my novel and ready to look for an agent, I’m planning a trip to visit a Serbian mental institution, and just yesterday I was asked to help plan a writers trip to Atlanta to highlight the issue of human trafficking. On top of my regular, mentoring, worship leading, writing, mommying, wifing duties! I am so not up to all of this on my own but so excited about the possibilities! I slept horribly asking God in my dreams what he was thinking. I thought I needed to chose between the options but I’m thinking he’s asking me to work hard and trust harder. Thank you friend for that timely word! Now to pray that my husband can adjust to all of this!